If you plan to remain in the Miami or South Beach area for the duration of your trip, you probably won’t need a rental car. There are plenty of public transportation options (taxis, buses, and shuttles) available. By using public transportation, you won’t have to worry about drinking and driving! Also remember that in addition to any rental car fees, you will also have to pay to park your rental car. Some hotels charge $30+ per day for parking. Public garages start at $15 per day.
If you do prefer to drive yourself around, we have partnered with Expedia.com to bring you rental car discounts during Winter Music Conference.
Getting to and from your hotel
Shuttle vans are typically shared with other passengers traveling to the same hotel or the same area as you. Pickup and drop off order are determined by the driver. It is customary to tip $3-6 if gratuity was not already included in your shuttle price.
Taxis may be hired individually (by one person) or shared by a group of people traveling to the same hotel. Cabs accept up to five people for the advertised fare. Some taxi cabs accept credit cards. If you prefer to pay for a taxi cab with a credit card, make sure you ask in advance. If traveling with a large group, you may need to request a van or SUV in order to fit all of your luggage. Always verify all taxi pricing and fees with the driver before you get into the taxi. It is customary to add a 15-20% tip on top of the final fare.
Miami International airport (MIA)
- Some Miami hotels offer free or discounted shuttle rides to and from Miami International Airport. Call your hotel directly in advance of your trip to reserve hotel shuttle service.
- Miami Beach Airport Flyer: Express bus service between the airport and South Beach (Collins Ave and Washington Ave) for only $2.65 each way. Runs every 30 minutes and provides express service from 6a to 11:40p, seven days a week
- Super Shuttle: Trips between the airport and South Beach are approximately $20 per person each way. Each additional passenger traveling in the same party to the same address is $10 each way. Reserve online in advance.
- Taxi service to and from South Beach is available for a $32 flat fee each way.
Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International airport (FLL)
- GO Airport Shuttle: Trips between the airport and South Beach are approximately $21 per person each way. Reserve online in advance.
- Taxi service to and from South Beach is based on meter readings and is estimated at $72+ each way.
Palm Beach International airport (PBI)
- Taxi service to and from South Beach is based on meter readings and is estimated at $150+ each way.
Getting around Miami and South Beach
Trips to and from the airport are based on a flat rate, but most other taxi trips in Miami are based on metered rates. Meter rates are $2.50 for the first 1/6 mile, $0.40 for each additional 1/6 mile, and $0.40 per minute spent waiting. You are responsible for paying any tolls incurred during your ride. It is customary to add a 15-20% tip on top of the metered fare.
The Miami Metrobus has several routes through South Beach and the city of Miami. Rides are $2 each. Cash may be used to pay for your fare, but no change is given, so exchange change is recommended. If you think you’ll use the bus often and don’t want to worry about carrying the exact bus fare, a refillable EASY Card may be purchased online or in-person at several Miami sales outlets.
- Route 123 (South Beach Local) travels up and down Washington Ave and continuously loops around South Beach.
- Route 120 (Beach MAX) travels up and down Washington Ave and Collins Ave.
- Route 103 (Route C) travels up and down South Beach, between 5th St / Washington Ave and 44th St / Collins Ave.
- Route 112 (Route L) travels up and down Collins Ave between Lincoln Rd and points north
- Route 119 (Route S) travels between Downtown Miami (1st St / Biscayne Blvd) and South Beach (17th Street and Indian Creek Dr).
- Route 113 (Route M) travels between Downtown Miami (14th St / 17th Ave) and South Beach (17th Street and Collins Ave).